Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Thing 3: RSS

This finally enlightened me to what RSS feeds are all about! I've been seeing the orange square icon for a long time and hadn't really know what it was. I added several RSS feeds (including several from MINITEX, where I previously worked) and checked it after two days -- about half had new posts. Because I don't see myself checking the reader very often, I didn't set up any news feeds. I tried setting up two RSS feeds for publications in EBSCO, but neither would work -- by the failure message, I'm not sure if it is a problem with EBSCO or Google Reader [note: this actually worked]. In this case, setting up an EBSCO alert would probably get the same result, i.e., being notified when a new issue of a publication is added to the database. Although I don't expect to use RSS feeds much in the near future, knowing about them should prove helpful in working with patrons.

No comments: